Calhoun County’s Mobile Recycling Center added a new location in April, Sheridan Township. The County received a 2020 EGLE Recycling Infrastructure Grant to purchase a truck and recycling trailer for use in our rural townships to increase recycling access. This program has been well received in Athens Township and Tekonsha Township, and it will now be visiting Sheridan Township on the second Thursday of the month.
Mobile Recycling Center Locations:
130 E. Burr Oak St., Athens, MI 49011
1st Thursday of the month
1 – 4 p.m.
13355 29 Mile Rd., Albion, MI 49224
2nd Thursday of the month
1 – 4 p.m.
166 Spires Parkway, Tekonsha, MI 49092
3rd Thursday of the month
1 – 4 p.m.
Staff will be supervising the center and educating the recyclers on how to use the recycling trailer. Recyclers will feed their own recycling into the labeled collection bins and are encouraged to bring their material pre-sorted.
The recycling trailer will collect the following separated items:
- Tin Cans
- #1 bottles
- #2 colored plastic bottles
- #2 natural plastic bottles
- #3-7 mixed plastic
- Magazines and catalogs
- Office paper
- Cardboard (must be flattened to fit into bin)
- Recycling must be loose inside the collection bins.
- No bagged recycling may be placed inside the trailer
- Avoid tying plastic bottles together with rope or twine.
- Recyclers will be asked to take items that are not accepted including bags home with them.
- Recommended containers for transporting your recycling to the mobile trailer include paper bags (can be recycled with cardboard), cardboard boxes, and reusable totes and bags.
Polystyrene #6 is only accepted at the Marshall Recycling Center, 13300 15 Mile Rd., Marshall, which is open Tuesday from 12-4 p.m. and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The trailer is also available for use at community events where it can be used to collect items such as cardboard, aluminum cans, and water bottles. Please contact the Solid Waste and Recycling Coordinator, if you are interested in booking the trailer.
Leave a Reply